New Standing Rigging (05/2017)
The standing rigging was all original, thus about 17 years old. It
seemed visually ok, except port aft lower had some rust coloration
entering the turnbuckle. But given that the general rule of thumb is
to replace standing rigging about every ten years, seemed like a
good time to do it. Work was done at KKMI.
With the mast down, it was an opportunity to do a few more things:
- Rebedded the port chainplates which had been leaking slightly.
- Replaced all four masthead sheaves, all of them were cracked
- Replaced the anchor light with a LED unit
- Removed the jib halyard fairlead block (which was also
cracked) and replaced it with a simpler Schaefer 'Small Boat
Halyard Restrainer' (part 78-74).
- Move main halyard management to the
my Catalina 270 page.